Sunday 18 May 2008

Learning to sign

So, this week... my best friend, Meiying, was talking about Green Eyes, this boy she fancies. And I felt all bad and secretive because I didn't tell her anything about liking Doug. But there was no point because I knew there was no chance on this earth someone that gorgeous would ever fancy me.

Then I had to walk by him on the steps to get to French and he asked me if I was being bullied because he saw the Russell twins having a go. I haven't told anybody about that but I said yes and it was such a relief to tell someone. I felt like crying.

Then, then. You will not believe this. He asked me out! HE asked ME out!!!!!! My chipped toenails were dancing in my size nines, I can tell you!

BUT now I am plain terrified! It's one thing having a little rendez vous on the steps but a DATE! The thing is (and this is really embarrassing but) I haven't actually been on a date before. Ever. With anyone. So now you know.

PLUS, I don't think being able to sign Liz and Doug is going to get me very far, do you? So do I just talk normally or shall I go to the library and look up sign language. Can you learn it from looking at pictures? Does anybody know?

Help! I need your advice!

PLEASE POST ME A COMMENT.

You don't have to be registered and you can post anonymously.

NEXT POST BY MONDAY 2 JUNE

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can learn sign language from a book, there’s an excellent book that costs about £20 but you can get it in the library. But it’s better with any language to get lots of practice. The language of lurrve doesn’t need words anyway. Just make sure you’re expressive on your face and don’t do that girly thing that girls do of covering up their mouths when they speak. Good luck on your date! I’ll tune in again to find out what happens.

(and good luck Shanta too :-)

Megan said...

Hey, great stuff Liz! Congratulations on having the courage to speak up about the bullying and have a wonderful first date!
Megan x

Anonymous said...

That's great!!

Amy Linder said...

Congratulations! That is awesome! He already knows your limited signing capabilities, so I say go and have fun. It would be helpful if you got a book out to learn some more signs, but don't stress about it either. Sign what you can and he can lip read the rest. :) Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Hiya

Thought I'd drop by and see what happened. You asked if you can learn sign language from a book. Some people will tell you yes but although there are books that show signs, the real answer is NO!!!

BSL is an active language. You need to learn it from people who use it, preferably deaf people. Have you thought about a class?

Oh, good luck for the date anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

learning sign is good. the books help, but videos or dvds are even better. It is a full language, so it will take time to learn, be patient. but tell us at some point what his speech is like, can he speak? some deaf will speak and have no problem doing so but still appreciate you learning to sign.

Liz said...

Hi everyone

Thanks for the advice. To anon - Doug can speak in his special Doug voice ;) and he seems to understand what I say by lipreading if he's looking at me. But I know he signs with other people.

Liz x