Sunday 4 May 2008

Mad about the boy!

Hi! I'm Liz and I really need your help!

This gorgeous boy who looks like Owen Wilson but better has just started at my college and I think he might like me. It's a long story but first I thought he had a girlfriend because I saw him staring at this girl's lips like he wanted to snog her face off.

BUT I've just found out he's deaf and that's why he stares at everyone's lips because he is lip reading, so there is still hope. I saw him with an interpreter in class. I've never seen an interpreter in real life before, just in the corner of a TV screen.

I keep looking at him and I really want to talk to him. But the thing is, it sounds really stupid and everything but I've never spoken to a deaf person before and I know I'm going to make an idiot of myself. So what should I do? Help!

PLEASE POST ME A COMMENT!

You don't need to be registered and you may comment anonymously.

NEXT POST WILL BE ON MONDAY 12th MAY.

9 comments:

Amy Linder said...

Hi Liz! I think you should DEFINITELY talk to him! If he's new to your school, I'm sure he'd love to meet any new friends. And if you think he likes you, then that's all the better reason to say hi! He can read lips well, I bet. So don't be shy - say hi!

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Go ahead! Talk to him. You've got nothing to lose. Be yourself! And just remember not to shout, pointless :)

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Why not take a little time to learn some signs, then when you choose the moment to introduce yourself, you can start a friendly conversation, whilst telling the interpreter to butt out and stop queering your pitch.

Who needs the competition, after all?

Anonymous said...

You never know, he might be dying to talk to you too and is probably just as nervous as you are! If you go and be yourself I'm sure you'll find a way to communicate with eachother and then you can take it from there. Hope it goes well :)

Karen said...

Learn a little sign language. Fast!

Anonymous said...

...or you could arrange an 'accidental' encounter, by dropping something or tripping over in front of him and flashing him a gorgeous smile. Put him in a superior position by letting him help you?

Anonymous said...

Go for it girl! I'm sure he'll be more than happy to teach you! If you want to feel a bit more prepared, check out the tips for communicating with deaf people on the RNID website: http://www.rnid.org.uk/information_resources/communicating_better/tips_for_hearing_people/
Let us know how you get on!...

Caroline said...

Please learn some basic sign language and try talking to him. Just be yourself.

Dawn Wilson said...

Definitely try to talk to him. If you take the time to learn some basic sign language, I think he would be more interested in talking with you. Also be sure to talk slow, since he reads lips, and look at him when you speak. Most libraries have books on sign language. Even if you learn fingerspell, it would still help. He's probably more nervous of opening the lines of communication than you are!