Sunday 11 May 2008

Plucked up the courage!

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Wow, you sound like you really know what you're talking about. The problem is, I made a bit of a mess of things...

Okay, the good bit is, I plucked up the courage to talk to him. I tapped him on the shoulder on the steps outside college. He turned around and grabbed my hand and I was like, hello, who turned the electricity on?!

But I was shocked! I mean, I don’t even know him and he grabbed my hand. What does that mean? The only people that grab me are the Russell bullies. But somehow I don’t think this boy’s a bully.

The bad bit is, I made a total idiot of myself! He spoke to me and he has a strange voice, probably because he can't hear it. And I spoke like this: ‘H-h-e-l-l- o.’ Really LOUD. Doh! He can't hear. STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! Why did I do that?

It just came out like that. SO STUPID! He told me to speak normally not slow. He was laughing at me but he was smiling too. I got a bit flustered and I had to get my asthma pump out. I didn't want him to see it but he was cool about it.

He showed me how to sign my name. It was really cool. He kept staring at my mouth and it made me blush. He signed his name to me. He's not Owen Wilson, he's Doug. And he's gorgeous! When will I see him again? I can't bear it! How can I make him like me??

Please post me a comment! You don't need to be registered and you can post anonymously.

NEXT POST BY MONDAY 19TH MAY

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz,
Well done for taking the plunge, and don't worry about getting things wrong. It sounds like he's keen, and you've learnt to sign your name already, which is great. Just be yourself, go with the flow, and I'll bet you'll have him hooked in no time!

Anonymous said...

Hiya

You asked about him grabbing you. Deaf people can do things differently than hearing people.
It's difficult to explain. Deafness isn't just about not being able to hear.

You might think something's rude, like stamping or touching someone you don't know but that's normal. Anyway, you tapped his shoulder so you're getting it!

But having said that, maybe he just wanted to grab you because he likes you too!!! :)

Amy Linder said...

Don't worry about it! It sounds like he really may like you. And I'm sure he's very used to people speaking slowly and/or loudly because they're not sure how to communicate with him. As you get to know him better (and I'm sure you will), you'll both get more comfortable with each other and things will come easily. Good luck!

Liz said...

Thank you all x

Jen, I hadn't thought about deaf people doing things differently like the grabbing and stuff. I guess I've got a lot to learn.

Amy, I hope we'll get more comfortable. It's so hard when you don't know what you're doing.

I can sort of see why people sometimes avoid talking to people when they're not uncomfortable but I'm going to perservere because I really want to get to know him!