Sunday 15 June 2008

About time

Oh God, meeting Doug's parents was AWFUL. One of the first things that came out of his mum's mouth was 'We're so glad that Doug's got a girlfriend like you.' I thought it was a bit weird, like, what does she know about me?

Well, I discovered later that she meant a HEARING girlfriend. His mum was saying it was easier that I was hearing and then she started talking about Doug's ex, Dana who was deaf. He's never spoken about her and it made me feel funny thinking about it.

Everyone was signing - Doug, Sam and their dad. But their mum wasn't. Not even a single word. In fact she seemed cross and kept going on about his hearing aid. And when I saw him wearing it, I couldn't help it but it just made me think of old people.

So I've decided to enrol at BSL class. I think it's about time I showed a bit of commitment. But I am bricking it totally. I don't know if I'll be able to do it. Also, I've got to invite Doug to meet my parents now or should I say my mum and stepdad, Dave and I am dreading that! Do you think it's all going to work out or what? Will I be able to learn BSL? Is it really hard? What will happen to me and Doug if I can't do it? Help!

PLEASE POST ME A COMMENT. You don't need to be registered and you can post anonymously.

NEXT POST BY MONDAY 23 JUNE

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Liz. I'm deaf and my parents are hearing. They didn't learn to sign for years and it was only after I learnt to sign after meeting a load of deaf friends that my parents started to get it cos it's about my identity as a deaf person, as well as BSL being so much easier for me. I guess I'd say I'm kinda bilingual though as I grew up lipreading and speaking and learnt to sign as I got a bit older. I have loads of hearing and deaf friends and have been going out with my boyfriend, who isn't deaf, for 2 years now. He's doing really well at learning BSL. So I guess I'm saying that things can work out fine, and I bet you'll do fine at BSL classes. It will be hard at first, but I'm sure Doug'll help you.

Amy Linder said...

That's great that you're committing to a BSL class - it shows great commitment to Doug! Even if you find it difficult to learn at first, he's sure to really appreciate your attempts. And I know he'll help you. Don't worry about it. Good luck, too, with his meeting your family. I think they'll like him just fine.

Liz said...

Thanks. It means so much to get your encouragement! Liz x