Sunday 1 June 2008

Experimenting

So this week, I've been doing some experiments. You see, I've been wondering what it's like to be deaf but as I can't crawl inside Doug's head to find out, I did these things instead...

I slid my head under the water in the bath and stayed down as long as I could and let the water fill my ears and block out the sound of my little sister, Emma squealing. Hmm, not effective enough! ;)

I went without radio or CDs or music of any kind for a whole week to see if I’d miss it. I do. I really do. My Keane album keeps staring at me longingly and I have to shake my head and walk on past.

And this morning, I rolled up some cotton wool really tight and shoved it in my ears and walked around the house before anyone else was up. I couldn’t hear my footsteps as I went down the creaky stairs. I couldn’t hear the door swing on the hinges as I went into the kitchen. I couldn’t hear the kettle boil as I made tea. I couldn’t hear the clink of my tea spoon, or the slurp as I drank my tea. It was all so weird.

Mum nearly gave me a heart attack when she crept up behind me at the sink. I screamed and she stared at me like I was mad. Maybe I am. She wanted to know what I was up to but I didn't tell her anything. Well, I wasn't about to tell her that I’ve got a boy-friend now, was I?

So, try the experiments and tell me what you feel like. Got any others for me to try?

PLEASE POST ME A COMMENT. You don't have to register and you can post anonymously.

NEXT POST BY MONDAY 9 JUNE

1 comment:

Amy Linder said...

Hmmm... sounds like you've thought of some interesting things to try. The best I could come up for our family was to mute the T.V. when Marlee Matlin danced on Dancing With The Stars. I was trying to explain to Sweetie what it must be like for Marlee to dance to music she can't hear.

Good luck! Official boyfriend?! That's wonderful!