Saturday 21 June 2008

The ugly duckling

Omigod, the first session of the BSL class was really funny. We had to go round the group and say why we'd enrolled. This red-head said she was doing voluntary work in a deaf school. A girl with a very tight denim skirt said she was taking a year out to do missionary work.

A boy-man said he worked with a deaf guy and wants to be able to chat. That's more like it, not this 'helping the unfortunates' crap! I said, 'I'm here because my boyfriend's deaf.' Somebody actually gasped. Can you believe it? 'And because I think everybody should learn'.

The tutor's called Clive but he has a sign name, which is like a nickname in BSL. It's the sign for C moved across the top of his fingers because he always wears lots of rings. That's his thing. Clive gave me a sign name - swan - and I thought, here we go, it's just like what the Russells said, because I've got really long neck or something freakish.

Then he spelt G.R.A.C.E.F.U.L. and I could have cried.

Hey, why don't you think about giving yourself a sign name? You can tell me what it is if you like. I promise I won't laugh.

PLEASE POST ME A COMMENT. You don't need to be registered and you can post anonymously.

NEXT POST BY MONDAY 30TH JUNE 2008

3 comments:

Amy Linder said...

OMG! It's been a busy week and I totally forgot to check in on you, Liz! Good luck with the class. Love your BSL name! Let's see - if I had to choose one for myself, I think it would be the sign for giraffe - which is hilarious since I'm so short! But I love giraffes and their silent, unique beauty.

Anonymous said...

Cool, my sign name is a heart signed on my chest as I wear a heart shaped locket! x

The Reluctant Pedant said...

I've just discovered this blog, and enjoyed what I've read so far. Go Liz - or should I say "Swan" - get stuck in learning BSL. It's a great language. Doug seems like a really nice bloke, lucky you!

My sign name is "engineer", given to me by a friend a long time ago as a sort of joke. All my signing friends use it now, but most of them probably have forgotten the reason for it - if they ever knew.